Nowadays, Colombian students believe everything they read online is true. In fact, pupils have cited fake news or false information found online in their homework. It has become a big problem in schools, universities even in society. For these reasons, educators and parents need to find solutions. One of them is reading. “Libraries raised me. I don’t believe in colleges and universities. I believe in libraries because most students don’t have any money. When I graduated from high school, it was during the Depression and we had no money. I couldn’t go to college, so I went to the library three days a week for 10 years.” –Ray Bradbuy, to The New York Times.
Due to the fact that through reading, students are exposed to a wide range of words. This helps them build their own vocabulary. And also children to become critically literate. As a result, it helps in order for students to understand, interpret information and spotting the difference between fact and fiction.
According to Vygotsky, human beings learn from their social environment. For this reason, the following strategy is listed different places where pupils can get news from, newspapers, websites, social media channels, magazines, TV and radio programs. This activity is important because students can recognize trustworthy or fake information. In addition, students can socialize and share experiences about these online pages.
Here, I want to focus on this phrase (Nowadays, Colombian students believe everything they read online is true. In fact, pupils have cited fake news or false information found online in their homework. It has become a big problem in schools, universities even in society)
ResponderEliminarI think the problem is not really that the students take all the information they read as true but the real problem is that the teachers are not helping their students develop their critical skills so that they know how to understand and interpret the information. The professors should give students strategies to make distinctions, to inference, and to comprehend what they listen, see and read.
Hello Maria del Mar Martinez Llanos, I appreciate your opinion. Nevertheless, I do not agree when you affirm: "the real problem is that the teachers are not helping their students develop their critical skills so that they know how to understand and interpret the information." Due to the fact that the teacher does not have all responsibility of the student's learning process. Parents can contribute and develop the student's critical skills. I think a good strategy is the reading.
Eliminar